Running Blog Gadsden

Monday, December 31, 2018

Saying Goodbye to 2018

Evening Run in the Rain

I began my jog in a light drizzle. I figured, it had been like this all day, why would it change now. Well Fate has a twisted sense of humor. I like her! I was on mile 2 when she let loose her sorrows, and she nearly swept me away in them. But I had stuff to get off my chest, too, so I let my own woes be gone. And now that I am sitting here, I feel gratitude for the down pour. And maybe a tickle in my throat, too.

Amazing Things Happened

I got home drenched with soggy shoes, and my clothes were sticking to me. Blah! I felt disgusting! But I felt a nearly overwhelming amount of relief and happiness. Since my baby girl was born in March, I have been at war with my weight. A lot of this is in my own head; of course, but I still have not come to grips with my mom body. My run tonight helped me see humor in this, though. As I mentioned before, I returned home completely soaked. What came to mind was how Hollywood would try to have you believe that a woman running in the rain would be a beautiful thing.

Imagine:
Beautiful lady...... running in her form-fitting yoga pants, and she's stunning with her make-up perfectly ruined and hair still somehow straight. Maybe she's laughing prettily like a musical instrument, and you can't help but want to be her; or near her if it's a thriller and you're a stalker.

Further imagine:
Me, in my old PT pants; they're a bit tight on my butt, and my soaked shirt perfectly accentuates my mom rolls. My hair managed to work itself into a huge knot, and a family of birds probably could have found it quite homey. And while I was laughing, it was more like a lady ogre guffawing.  

What I got that Hollywood doesn't, though, is substance to my story. 2018 was full of events, like the birth of baby #5, the end to my BAH from the VA (sad face), student loans, the summer visit with my oldest, and the holidays. Ah, but there is so much between that to be grateful for! The birthdays, the school milestones like A+B honor roll, picture day, etc. How do I explain it all without boring you? Just look back on your own 2018, for reflection purposes, and take it all in. You got through it! Maybe with tears of joy, tears of sadness, and tears of boredom, but here we are with the opportunity to remake ourselves again. Maybe not a completely clean slate, but where is the fun in that? What I reflected on during my run was:
  1. I am almost finished with school.
  2. I will go on my first ever family vacation in 2019.
  3. When I have graduated, I will be the first in my family to hold a Bachelor degree.
  4. I will finish my first book and hopefully a second in 2019.
  5. Each of my children will be a year older.

Reflect and Share

What are you most proud of from 2018? What are you looking forward to in 2019? What is your #1 resolution for the new year?

Happy New Year Everyone!




No comments:

Post a Comment