Saturday Morning Recharge
I rolled out of bed ready to begin my run with my first blog guest ever! And who better to run with me than my very own twin sister, Miranda. I'm pretty sure our passion for running is genetic, by the way. I remember my mother would run ten miles once a week, and my twin and I would be rolling along on our bicycles right there with her. When we got older we picked up running; as well, from the track team in Junior High to running in the neighborhood on our spare time.Our career paths took separate directions, with her earning an Associates in Applied Science for Criminal Justice Technology and picking up a job working security, and I followed my path through the 82nd Airborne Division. We still try to squeeze in a run now and again, because we need running like plants need water.
This morning's run was perfect! It was darker out, much like a stormy day, but without the rain. There was a nice, cool breeze to keep our external temperature down. We cranked out two miles at an easy pace of 9:35 a mile, and we passed other joggers in the neighborhood. I suspect one or two of them may be members of the Gadsden Runners Club. My shins are a bit mad at me today, so I will probably need to invest in some K Tape and styrofoam cups. A little runner's trick I picked up from my PA when I was in Division was to fill a styrofoam cup with water and freeze it. When you get back from a run pull out the cup from the freezer and roll it up and down your shins to work out the toxins that build up in that area. It feels amazing and the ice in the cup is the perfect way to cool your legs down. The K Tape is a great way to take some strain off your tendons and ligaments during a run, and this will likely reduce your recovery time, as well.
Kudos to my twin sis for getting back in the game and working on her personal and career goals. I am looking forward to our next buddy run together. Also, next Saturday is the Great Pumpkin Run in Gadsden. See you there!
Check List
- K Tape before a run.
- Charge phone.
- Charge activity tracker (I got my Fitbit).
- Charge head phones.
- Freeze water in styrofoam cups the night prior.
- Hydrate! Hydrate! Hydrate!
- Eat 30-45 minutes prior, or a banana or apple 5 minutes prior; never run on an empty stomach!
- Get in your protein POST run. It helps supply oxygen to the muscles for recovery and repair.

Awesome start to your blog Jessi! I love it and please keep it up!!
ReplyDeleteThank you!
DeleteThank you, Jessi, for the encouragement! I hope to run with you again, soon! Also, keep up your hard work! I can’t wait to see how far this goes.
ReplyDeleteAnytime! And let me know when you're ready to get back out there with me.
Delete