Running Blog Gadsden

Saturday, October 27, 2018

Slay It Saturday

Race Day

I ran my first race today, and I can't believe how fun it was. Everyone was nice and smiling and the atmosphere was full of excitement. I got to the event location early and got my number, which I discovered today is called a "bib".  I pinned it to the thigh part of my pants and paced like a nervous first-timer. Come 9:00 a.m. we were all piled out by the meter strip awaiting the start of the race, and I was pleasantly surprised by the pre-race prayer. When everyone agreed they were ready, the race began and the runners stepped off. It was so chilly out so I didn't need to worry about overheating, and the view was amazing!!! We ran by cows and a very curious donkey in their individual pastures; also, residents of the area came out to watch the runners. The route is simply magnificent. 

Before I list my race results, I want to thank the police officers who guided the run and made the route safe. I also want to thank the entire community involved with the event, as everyone I spoke with were friendly and made me feel welcome. A special thank you to Bradley and Susan, who took the time to introduce me to the pro-racers and other members of the Gadsden Runners Club.











 

My Results

My finish time as clocked by the meter strip was 24:43, averaging me at 7:58 a mile. We ran 3.1 miles; a 5K. Out of the 75 racers who participated, I ranked 18, and I was the 3rd female to cross the finish line. In my age group, I was the 1st out of 7. I was very surprised when they called me up for a cute little pumpkin trophy for 3rd place female. It took me a slow second to realize it was my name they called.

2 comments: